EarthFacts.com presents amazing facts about the sun. You will learn many fascinating facts that you have probably never heard before!
1. Carl Sagan, a very famous scientist, once said we are made of “star stuff.” By this, he was referring to the fact that most of the atoms that compose our body were made inside stars.
2. Although we know the large fireball in the sky as the Sun, it is still just a star. The Sun just happens to be so much bigger because it is so close. It provides the warmth and energy to support life on Earth.
3. The Sun is composed of hydrogen, helium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, and iron; all elements that can also be found on Earth.
4. The Sun is 93 million miles from Earth.
5. Light emitted from the Sun takes about 8 minutes to travel through space until it reaches the Earth.
6. The Sun is about 4.5 billion years old.
7. The surface of the Sun is 5800 degrees while the core of the Sun is a whopping 10 million degrees!
8. The Sun is one of about 6,000 stars that can be seen by the naked eye from Earth.
9. The Sun composes 99.9% of the mass of the solar system.
10. The life expectancy of the Sun is about another 5 billion years.
11. The volume of the Sun is equivalent to about 1.3 million Earths!